Friday, July 31, 2015

Restaurant Review: Aviary Cafe and Creperie with [Video] Recipe

Strawberry, Banana, Nutella, Gluten-Free Crepe
My prospects for a trip to Paris in the near future are non-existent, so yesterday I opted for the next best scenario in the mid-west, lunch at the Aviary Cafe and Creperie.  Upon entry, the decor gives homage to the quaint artsy-crafty detail of the French countryside. I immediately smiled as I entered, leaving the cold cloudy December day behind. 

A bit too much drama? Maybe?

Roasted Red Pepper Soup

The Aviary is the perfect beginning. The employees are some of the most attentive and knowledgeable I've encountered. Our server was conscientious and eager to make our dining experience positive and gluten-free. It didn't come up, but I don't think "hold the bacon" would upset the staff. 



Yes, they offer gluten-free crepes for just $2.00 extra. What a treat! The options are plentiful and next time I plan to try the Coq au Vin, but yesterday I had the Venetian Garden crepe served with a side of sauteed butter beans and kale. The crepe is a tasty faire of fresh asparagus, spinach, mushrooms, and cherry tomatoes sauteed with garlic and shallots, inside the crepe the mixture is topped with ricotta. The flavor is divine and much to my surprise the portions are man-sized. That's right guys, you won't walk away hungry. The menu includes many beef, chicken, and pork options and if you aren't in the mood for a crepe, no worries, Aviary offers a wide variety of sandwiches and salads. 

I don't drink alcohol at lunch unless the occasion is extra special, nevertheless, tempted to try the Spanish Sangria, I resisted and had some excellent coffee instead. I can't wait to return on an evening with friends to share a mimosa drink board described on the menu as "A bowl of oranges, a bottle of bubbly, flutes and a juicer! For fun and for sharing, when you just want to do it yourself."  It does sound fun.


The restaurant  has an excellent website: Aviary Cafe and Creperie on the web!


Like Springfield's Savory, Succulent, & Sweet on Facebook and catch all the updates!



No comments:

Post a Comment